Monday, July 25, 2011

Week 3 EOC: Demographs - MINE


Out of the three different generations between the baby boomers, Generation X, & The Millennials, I fall into the Millennials generation.  Also referred to as Generation Y, with over 83 million people born between the years of 1977 and 2000.   I think the description in the textbook defines my generation quite fine.  In a quote One thing that all of the Millennials have in common is their utter fluency and comfort with digital technology. They don’t just embrace technology, it’s a way of life. The Millennials were the first generation to grow up in a world filled with computers, cellphones, satellite TV, iPods, and online social networks.”  Analyzing the Marketing Environment, Chapter 3, Page 17.  I truly believe that my generation is extremely technology inclined.  I myself found myself playing video games at the age of 7 and having a cellphone before I was even a teenager.  Even my little sister had a cellphone device by the age of 7!  It’s crazy how advanced each generation is getting.  My god daughter is only 3 years old, and she uses my iPhone to play video games.  The crazy thing is, I never really paid much attention to the fact that she’s extremely young and knows how to make phone calls!  A lot of things I’ve noticed as well is how much my age generation is targeted by advertisement and company marketing strategies.  Through the technology of cellphone devices, and e-mail on computers, there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t notice someone is trying to sell me something.  When the text book mentioned that we are the Pepsi, AT&T, and Apple generation I thought, well jeeze, that sure is an ignorant statement; until I realized, “Hey!  I have an iPhone under At&t, and am currently drinking a pepsi!”  “All generations are comfortable with technology, but this is the generation that’s been formed by technology,” says a Yahoo! executive.  Analyzing the Marketing Environment, Chapter 3, Page 17.  The statement made about how families are also changing in size with our generation is true.  In my experience, over 90% of the females that have had kids recently are no longer with the father.  Nor were they ever married.  Even the show, 16 & Pregnant shows this statement quite well!  “A full 32 percent are nonfamily households—single live-alones or adult live-togethers of one or both sexes.”  Analyzing the Marketing Environment, Chapter 3, Page 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment